Saturday 12 May 2007

The US Postal Service

If I ever hear anyone complaining about the Post Office and Royal Mail at home, I'll suggest they try the US Postal Service. By comparison, ours looks like the model of efficiency.



This morning I wanted to buy stamps for post cards, some to be sent today with some spare stamps for cards going over the rest of the trip. It turned out to be much more complicated than I'd thought possible.

One problem was that prices go up on Monday. So the cards being sent to Europe today needed 75c stamps; those for next week needed 90c stamps. The 75c stamps were no problem at all. But there aren't any 90c stamps. Instead, I had to get some 84c stamps, and twice as many 3c ones to make up the difference.

Then I complicated matters by asking for two stamps for postcards to be sent within the USA, today. They'd be 24c, I was told, but there were no 24c stamps at the post office. I must have looked a little surprised, and after a while the assistant came up with a solution: two 10c and one 4c stamps for each card.

All this had been just too much for her. "After you I'll have to close" she said wearily (it being at least 9.30 already). And sure enough, as soon as I went to move away, the closed sign went up.

Of course the next thing will be to see whether the cards actually get to their destinations. I fully expect the ones to the UK to arrive before the ones to New York and Indiana!

No comments: